Search for your Fund Name - Eg: "Motor Industry Pension Fund" and the Fund administrators page with contact info will be in the search results
Claiming your share of Surplus Pension Funds

Claiming your share of Surplus Pension Funds

We are contacted almost every day by people who wish to claim any pension fund surplus that is owing to them and here we outline the procedure that needs to be followed in order to make your claim from surplus pension funds.

The Pension Funds that are currently redistributing surplus amounts can be seen here, surplus pension funds

If you worked in the metals and engineering industry and contributed to any of the following funds, you need to go here >>

  • Metal Industries Provident Fund (MIPF)
  • Engineering Industries Pension Fund (EIPF)
  • Metal Industries Group Pension Fund (MIGPF)
  • Metal Industries Group Life and Provident Fund (MIGLPF)

The first thing you need to do is determine which fund it was that you were contributing to. You will find the fund name and the administrators on any benefit statement you received while contributing. If you do not have any records of the fund name, you will need to contact the company you were employed by at the time to determine which fund it was.

Ask your former employer if the fund still exists and if there is any surplus available to those who contributed.

During the redistribution process a representative former member of the fund is appointed to look after the members interests. Your former employers may have this information.

If they do not have the information you need to contact the Fund administrators who will be able to assist you. You can do this by searching for the fund name or the fund administrators name on using the search box above. Be as specific as possible eg “ABSA fund administrators or┬áMAFUBE PUBLISHING PENSION FUND”.

Request the claim documents and make sure the claim for your surplus pension funds is very accurately completed.

Following up your claim:

  • Make sure you get a personal contact and email address of a person at the fund right at the outset.
  • Submit regular queries to the fund and if you are not satisfied contact the FSB or have an attorney write to them.
  • Use registered mail or confirmed delivery email when making inquiries.
  • Make very sure that your claim forms are 100% correctly completed and all of the supporting documentation is included
  • Do not accept verbal responses, insist that an email is sent to you.
  • Contact other fund members you know and ask them to make inquiries
  • The basis on which the valuation is made is contained in a report, attempt to get a copy of the report.

We are unfortunately not in a position to assist individuals with claims, these can only be made through the appointed person or directly with the fund administrators.

If you need an attorney to help you, contact David Spencer

503 Responses to “Claiming your share of Surplus Pension Funds”

  1. I work for. Propawer international. at isando

  2. Annah says:

    I resigned at my work in 2016 ,I only got my profident fund,no UIF .Can I clam for surplus,and my employer still owes my profident fund.

  3. Annah Maloka says:

    I resigned at my work in 2016 ,I only got my profident fund,no UIF .Can I clam for surplus,and my employer still owes my profident fund.O79 914 4044

  4. Moses says:

    Hi I’m moses makhubela I resigned from work in 2015 I only got my profident fund no uif can Iclam for surplus my number is 0633960127

  5. valda says:

    I worked from 1999 till 2004 at medscheme .Can i claim for a surplus

  6. Molawa frans mokone says:

    Frans molawa mokone is my father;he was working cargo carries at witbank and died nothing we received from them

  7. Ewing Ryan says:

    good day I am just doing a query regarding either for my pension fund or surplus as they call it now I just want to no do I qualify as I was working in the insurance industry for 13 years I resign at my last insurance company that I worked for in 2000 and I only received a pension of R45000.00 THAT WAS IT and I really think that was only the my contribution towards my pension fund that I received please I need advise who can I speak to or to look into the matter for me my contact details:083-487-6732

  8. Derrick says:

    Not sure if I can claim

  9. PUSELETSO says:


  10. LUCKY GUMBI says:


  11. Rudolph Johannes van Rooyen says:

    How and where do I claim for outstanding surpluss and pension money that I workd for in the gold mines and udder mines?

  12. Rudolph Johannes van Rooyen says:

    How and where do I claim for outstanding surplus and pension money that I worked for in the gold mines and udder mines?

  13. Ravi Ramiah says:

    Do I have any funds from surplus

  14. Beverly Buthelezi says:

    I am Beverly worked as a teacher for 23 years then I resigned in 2015 December ,just wanna know if I have a surplus too from my pension funds that was not paid out.

  15. Thabo Jangu says:

    I worked for the National government for 10 yrs and recieved my pension payout.Can i claim the pension surplus

Leave a Reply (please include a telephone number)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *